Comprehend and demonstrate command in the principles of wireless networking.
Describe the networking technologies including Cellular networks, WLANs and WWANs.
Understand the functions of TCP/IP and the organization of the Internet.
Design and evaluate a wireless network in terms of cost, performance, privacy and security.
Plan and design a small and practical network for home or small business applications under a specified set of constraints
To understand new trends and emerging technologies
1. Overview of wireless systems – teletraffic engineering – Radio propagation – Pathloss models – Digital communication over radio channels – Modeling of a Wireless Channel - Capacity of wireless channels – AWGN channel -Fading channels
2. Cellular concepts – Multiple access and interfernce management- Narrowband and Wideband systems- GSM, CDMA and OFDM - Channel reuse analysis- spread spectrum and CDMA systems – Random access and Wireless LANs – Data and voice sessions over 802.11 – Association in WLANs
3. Wide-Area Wireless Networks – GSM evolution for data – UMTS architeture – QoS in UMTS – HSDPA – FOMA - CDMA evolution
4. Design of a wireless network – radio design for a cellular network – Link budget for GSM and CDMA
5. Beyond 3G – HSPA+, WiMAX and LTE – Cognitive radio networks
1. Wireless Communications & Networking (1st Ed): Vijay K Garg, Morgan Kaufmann (2007)
2. Wireless Networks: Anurag Kumar, D. Manjunath, Joy Kuri, (1st Ed.), Morgan Kaufman (2008)
3. An Introduction to LTE: LTE, LTE-Advanced, SAE and 4G Mobile Communications (2nd Ed): Christopher Cox, Wiley (2012)
4. Web Resources: ieee.org